PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING REGARDING NEW POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR THE SPRING 2021 PLAYER EVALUATIONS:
Any VLL player who wishes to play at the AA, AAA, or Majors level in the Spring (and was not already placed on a Majors team in the Spring of 2020) needs to attend a player evaluation to be eligible to be drafted. The VLL player evaluations are open to any player who will be “league age” 8-12 in the 2021 spring season (born after September 1, 2012) and wants to be considered for one of these three levels.
If your child will be league age 7 or younger or will be league age 8 but requesting Single A placement, then you can ignore this email. Otherwise, please read on.
Assessments for the spring season are typically held indoors in February. This year, in light of COVID-19 considerations, we are planning to hold the evaluation earlier and have them outdoors. Our current plan is to have a series of outdoor evaluations during December and January (and potentially in February).
Please understand that the date/time, location, and procedures of the player evaluations may change at the last minute due to circumstances beyond our control, including inclement weather (we will not hold evaluations in sub-freezing temperatures) or public-health orders. We ask for your patience and understanding as we navigate these uncertain times.
The following protocols will be observed at the player evaluations:
- MASKS: All participants, including players, must always wear facemasks, while engaged in eval activities or while within the boundaries of Yeonas Park.
- ASSIGNED TIMES: To avoid crowding and ensure adequate physical-distancing, players will have assigned evaluation times and attendance will be capped. Please do not arrive early or late. “Walk-ons” will not be permitted. (A link to sign up for a specific date and time will be provided after a player completes their registration for the spring season.)
- VIDEO RECORDING: Evluation activities will be video recorded (using the player’s assigned evaluation number, not their name) and those videos will be made available to managers for evaluation prior to the draft. (Managers and coaches -- other than those volunteering at the event-- will not be present.)
- PARENT ESCORTS: One parent/guardian should accompany the child (siblings may try out together) through the stations to maintain efficiency and assist with enforcing spacing.
- PLAYER EQUIPMENT: Players should only bring a fielding glove and if they choose batting gloves. They should not bring any other personal equipment. Bats will be provided, and hand sanitizer will be applied for any player who does not have batting gloves. Batting helmets will not be used, as the hitting drill will be off a batting-tee.
We are currently planning to schedule evaluation dates and times throughout December, January and possibly February.
Within 24-48 hours after your player completes registration for the spring 2021 season, a link to sign up your player for an evaluation date and time will be provided.
If you have any questions, please email the VLL Player Agent, Mitch Hiller, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you, and we look forward to a terrific 2021 VLL season.